Saturday, April 2, 2011

I would rather eat a locust...

I may have fallen asleep multiple times while trying to read Nathanael West’s, The Day of the Locus.  Personally, I think the novel is utterly dry and complex with violence scattered throughout the story line.  Actually, was there even a story line?  I asked myself what the point of the book was after reading it, and I came to the conclusion that unlike other writers at the time, West incorporated failed dreams and realistic views into his novels.  He portrays a disgusting, brutal outlook on life in California, more specifically Los Angeles.  Almost all of the characters in the novel were unsuccessful in achieving their dreams, which made the story entirely depressing.  The violence depicted in the novel was also disturbing, but at the same time, it really didn’t catch my attention enough to become engrossed in the book.  Maybe today’s society has increased my ability to withstand the shock and violence described in movies, books, and songs.  Thus, this book wasn’t shocking enough for me.  When I picture Los Angeles I do think about the homeless people crowding the streets, those who West describe as those waiting to die there, and the crime that occurs in the city.  Even the mob scene that occurs at the end of the story doesn’t surprise me at all.  A big move star came into town; of course people get wild and senseless right?  It seems expected.  In the early twentieth century, I can understand how this book would raise some brows.  The reoccurring themes of violence, prostitution, and sexual innuendos were probably a little concerning at the time. 

What's the odds of becoming a famous actor/actress in Hollywood?

Los Angeles maybe the city of failed dreams for some...

Big city... Big opportunities right?

 


 

West describes the violence in such a way that it appears to stem from the characters’ boredom and resentment of Los Angeles.  The characters go to the city because they believe they will find success, but when they fail at achieving their dreams, they become aggressive and inhuman.  This may explain why the mob was easy to aggravate.  Also, the violence revolves around Faye Greener in the majority of the story. 
Faye is like an unattainable, fake robot that the male characters are madly attracted to.  This is cause for tension because there is a competition between the men, and the tension escalates at the party at Homer’s house and ends in a large fight.  Multiple times throughout the novel Tom imagines raping Faye.  I think these acts of violence represent the characters’ resentment toward Faye because they are not successful in winning her over.  The men’s’ failed attempts to get Faye’s attention and affection may symbolize their overall failure at life in Los Angeles.  I couldn’t bring myself to sympathize with the victims of the acts of violence, especially Faye Greener.  Faye Greener was said to be fake in her actions and words and seemed to put on a nonstop facade for her audiences.  I couldn’t even stand to read about this girl because she seemed so robotic and untrustworthy; thus I was unsympathetic to the wrongdoings that were done to her.  Like Tom Hackett’s view, I think Faye seemed to bring misfortune upon herself.



On an end note, I definitely don’t want to visit Los Angeles or read another Nathanael West book.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to know that I wasn't the only one bored with this book. It may have been the worst book I've actually ever read. There was no plot, no point, and no enjoyment from reading it. I feel that all it contained was a bunch of sexual innuendos and depressing lives of people that fail to achieve the "American Dream". You nailed the part about Faye...the way she acted was not very attractive and left me wondering what these guys are smokin'. Anyways, I hope the next novel is a little better.

    ReplyDelete