Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Freud... Really?


Although I do believe that Sigmund Freud made substantial contributions toward modern psychology during the twentieth century, I also consider him bias and overrated.  In his time period, women were considered inferior to men, and according to his works, Freud agreed with this idea of inferiority.  In various works, he describes women as having the dominant purpose of fertility and reproduction.   If Freud was such a genius, then why didn’t he accept that fact that women have more to offer than merely fertility? 
I do respect Freud’s work and outlook on mental illness and psychoanalysis because his view on mental illness led to better treatment of the mentally ill.  Prior to Freud, the mentally ill were locked up and treated terribly, but Freud used psychoanalysis to bring unconscious desires into consciousness of the emotionally disturbed and to confront these desires.  Overall, I think Freud caused people to change their view of the mentally ill by looking at the disorders scientifically. 
While I admire Freud in this aspect, I despise his ideas on the Oedipus complex.  He thought that some disorders were caused by a child’s unconscious sexual desire for his/her parent of the opposite sex, while he/she is envious of the parent of the same sex.  I think this view is disgusting and ignorant! Really, Freud?  Where did you even come up with this idea?  To me, this idea seems completely random and does not make any sense.  I detest how Freud has to make mental and emotional issues into unconscious sexual wants.  I disagree with his idea of infant sexuality and all the sexual phases people endure throughout their life.  It’s gross.  In my opinion, Freud is sexist and obsessed with human sexuality of which he has no foundation for his ideas on sexual life phases.  

No comments:

Post a Comment